Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sick boy

We've had quite a busy weekend. On Friday, Elias and I left the house at 11am and didn't return until 7pm. In that time we went swimming, met a friend for lunch, went to the library, and then went to another friend's house for dinner. There were a few other kids there, so Elias had a lot of fun. On Saturday, Elias spent the morning with Harry taking the bus and running errands while I stayed home and worked on homework. At 2pm though our house was filled with chaos and mayhem when we invited a bunch of kids and their parents over to hang out. The hanging out went on a little longer than expected and the last person didn't leave until 8pm. Elias was exhausted and asleep half an hour later. At three in in the morning he woke up with a fever and was obviously very uncomfortable. Looking back I'm sure the frenetic pace of the past two days really didn't help at all.

The poor kid was so tired but couldn't sleep soundly; he kept waking up and wimpering. None of us got out of bed until noon on Sunday. That is definitely a record for Elias. Those of you who know him know that he is a VERY early riser. In fact he would have kept sleeping but Harry and I decided to wake him up to try to get some food and water into his feverish little body. I left the house to run and get groceries and by the time I returned, he was asleep again, but this time on the couch. So the remainder of the day was spent on the couch. Elias read books and watched a movie and napped off and on all day. He refused to eat all day until I offered him ice cream around dinner time. That perked him up for a little, but then he asked me to "carry me back to my couch and put my blankets on me." I obliged and he stayed there until he finally got so tired from his busy and arduous day that he requested to go to bed... at 7. He's sleeping now but I'm sure he'll be up again soon enough. He's actually been incredibly good. He didn't whine much at all, he just wanted to be left on the couch to recover. It really was sad to see him so low energy and disinterested in almost everything, but I'm hoping his day of rest will put him on the road to recovery. Tomorrow he'll have to go stay with my friend for a couple hours in the morning while I go to my high school for a meeting but then I'll be able to stay home with him the rest of the day. If he's feeling better, he may even accompany to my afternoon class at PSU so I can take a quiz. Who knows? I do know there will be much more time spent on the couch though.

No comments: